(Bottlebrush Buckeye) Aesculus parviflora is a robust, suckering species which has magnificent candle-like 10 - 12 cm cream buds in early summer that open to upright panicles of white flowers with red anthers in July.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Aesculus parviflora is an exquisite, robust, suckering species which has candle-like 10 - 12 cm cream buds in early summer that open to upright panicles of white flowers with red anthers in July. The leaves are dark green in spring / summer, turning attractive, clear shades of yellow in a crisp autumn.
Once established Aesculus parviflora develops into a delightful cumulus cloud shaped shrub or very small spreading tree. Very suitable for woodland areas or as a backdrop plant in large garden borders.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Slow initially then moderate.
- Habit: Aesculus parviflora grows to be a large, spreading shrub or very small spreading tree.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft)
- Notes: We have a specimen of Aesculus parviflora, planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. At 13 years old, it had reached a height of 2.5 m and a spread of 3 m.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Habit - Architectural