Aesculus glabra 'October Red'
(Ohio Buckeye) Aesculus glabra 'October Red' is a handsome, rare tree with excellent autumn colour which originally comes from the South-eastern and Central United States.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Handsome, rare tree with excellent autumn colour which originally comes from the South-eastern and Central United States. In spring Aesculus glabra 'October Red' has lovely, coppery coloured leaves which turn dark green later in the year.
In the autumn these leaves turn splendid shades of red and orange before falling. It also has masses of creamy-yellow flower spikes in late spring which stand out well against the dark green leaves.
Aesculus glabra 'October Red' is a superb garden tree for autumn colour however it can be slow growing when young and so is not instant gratification!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Pale yellow
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Aesculus glabra 'October Red' grows to be a medium sized tree with a rounded crown.
- Height: up to 18 m (60 ft)
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual