Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku'
(Coral Bark Maple) A sensational maple which grows as a shrub in the short term or eventually a very small tree once established with bright red winter stems and golden-green leaves in summer which turn a dramatic shades of apricot-yellow in autumn before falling.
Superb choice of maple for foliage and winter stem colour in a position in sun or dappled shade. May be grown in a large container if required.
A sensational maple, Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' has bright red winter stems and golden-green leaves in summer which turn a dramatic shades of apricot-yellow in autumn.
One of our favourite maples and an excellent all year round garden plant! After the leaves fall the eye-catching, red and pink, coral coloured bark becomes visible and this lasts all winter until the new leaves emerge in the following spring.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. In our experience, the autumn colour will be more vivid when planted on acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' will grow best when planted in an area sheltered from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Acer palmatum 'Sango-kaku' grows to be a large shrub or very small tree with a somewhat upright form once established.
- up to 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft)
- 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark, Suitable for Containers, Autumn Colour, Foliage - Gold/Yellow