(Chinese Abelia) Abelia engleriana is an unusual medium sized, semi-evergreen shrub with masses of lightly scented purple-pink flowers in mid summer.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to Szechuan province in China, Abelia engleriana is an unusual semi-evergreen shrub with lightly scented, purple-pink, bell-shaped flowers in mid summer. These flowers have an eye-catching golden-orange throat.
The flowers appear on arching branches which are covered with bright green leaves. An ideal choice of shrub for a warm and sunny garden.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Abelia engleriana requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: July - September
- Flower Colour: Pale purple / pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sized, rounded shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft)
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Pruning To reduce size and encourage flowering, trim back by one third after flowering or in the spring.
- Notes: Abelia engleriana is semi-evergreen and may keep its leaves throughout mild winters. In colder winters the leaves will fall.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Honey Fungus Resistant, Evergreen