(Red Hook Sedge) A handsome New Zealand native, Uncinia rubra is a colourful, evergreen small grass with glossy reddish-bronze leaves that is a real 'show stopper' for a front of border position.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A handsome New Zealand native, Uncinia rubra is a colourful, evergreen small grass with glossy reddish-bronze leaves that is a real 'show stopper' for a front of border position.
Narrow flower spikes, produced in mid to late summer are dark brown and are barely noticed against the vivid foliage. Red hook sedge also makes a good container plant.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained yet moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Uncinia rubra grows to be a small, clump forming grass.
- Height: 30 cm (1 ft)
- Spread: 30 cm (1 ft)
- Notes: Uncinia rubra is most effective when planted in small groups.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Small (less than 1m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features
- Foliage - Purple/Red, Suitable for Containers, Evergreen