(Western Hemlock) Native to the parts of Western North America, this is a large, vigorous and handsome evergreen tree with elegant arching branches.
An impressive evergreen specimen tree once established.
A large, vigorous and handsome evergreen tree, Tsuga heterophylla is native to the parts of Western North America. The leaves are dark green in colour, up to approx 2 cm long with 2 greyish-white bands on the underside. Established trees develop small cones.
A superb elegant woodland tree which is upright and conical initially developing arching branches once established.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Prefers damp/moist, fertile soil but will not tolerate water logging.
- Hardiness: Hardy but prefers shelter from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Tsuga heterophylla will usually grow to be a medium sized to large tree once mature.
- Height: 15 m - 20 m (50 - 65 ft) or possibly larger in shelterd mild areas.
- Spread: up to 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large (15m+), Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Screening/Hedge, Habit - Architectural