(Californian Fuchsia) A lovely plant which is a native of California and known for producing eye-catching, bright red, fuchsia-like, pendulous flowers in April.
Supplied Size: This unusual plant is rarely available. Please use the notification system below if you wish to be contacted if/when more are available.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A lovely plant which is a native of California and known for producing eye-catching, bright red, fuchsia-like, pendulous flowers in April. The lush green leaves are among the first to appear in spring and handsome red spines decorate the stems.
Ribes speciosum is an ornamental plant for a warm area or when trained on a sunny wall.
- Position: Warm in full sun or against a sunny wall.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy, this prefers shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Ribes speciosum grows to be a medium sized shrub with arching branches.
- Height: 1.5 - 2 m or a little larger against a wall
- Spread: 1.5 - 2 m or a little larger against a wall
- Notes: In California hummingbirds visit this plant and pollinate it which may be why unless you are very fortunate, it rarely fruits in the UK.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May)