(Shrubby Rowan) An elegant large shrub with white berries which was first discovered in central China in the early twentieth century by the famed plant hunter Ernest Wilson.
Supplied Size: 3L pots (approx 3 years old, 40 - 60 cm tall)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
An elegant large shrub with white berries which was first discovered in central China in the early twentieth century by the famed plant hunter Ernest Wilson. Sorbus koehneana has narrow, pinnate leaves, dark green in spring and summer and plum purple before falling in a good autumn.
White flowers in spring are followed by masses of large clusters of drooping, waxy, white berries in autumn that are extremely popular with wildlife. Sorbus koehneana is a fascinating and attractive shrub once established.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Sorbus koehneana grows to be a medium sized or eventually large multi-stemmed shrub.
- Height: approx 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m+ (10 ft)
- Notes: Of the rowan listed on our website, Sorbus koehneana in our opinion is probably the most suitable for shady areas.
- Important Please Read - Sorbus (Rowan / Mountain Ash) species and cultivars are not and cannot be affected by the Ash disease, Chalara fraxinea. Despite the potentially confusing name, mountain ashes are actually in the rose family, Rosacaea, and are closely related to apples and pears etc. Fraxinus excelsior (Common ash), are in the olive family, Oleaceae and the wind born disease recently found in the UK is completely specific to this genus.
- How Much Sun
- Shade, Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Birds)
You might also like