(Chinese Mahogany) Unusual in the UK, Toona sinensis is a small to medium sized tree with handsome large pinnate (feather-like) leaves which are tinted bronze sometimes when young.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Unusual in the UK, Toona sinensis is a small to medium sized tree with handsome large pinnate (feather-like) leaves which are tinted bronze sometimes when young. These leaves have yellow autumn tints before falling in October. Established plant can produce panicles of small, scented white flowers.
For best foliage and flower display avoid planting in cold, windy areas and instead choose a warm, sunny and sheltered position.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade (planting in a hot, sunny position will increase the likelyhood of seeing flowers once established).
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy (avoid windy sites)
- Flowering Period: July.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate here in Derbyshire (more vigorous in mild areas)
- Habit: Toona sinensis grows to be a small or eventually medium sized branching tree.
- Height: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft)
- Spread: 4 - 5 m (16 - 20 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large, Rare and Unusual
You might also like