Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar'
(Snowbell Tree) A new selection from Arboretum Wespelaar in Belgium, Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar' is a small, spreading tree with distinctive wide leaves, green in spring gradually turning dusky purple-green as they age.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A new selection from Arboretum Wespelaar in Belgium, Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar' is a small, spreading tree with distinctive wide leaves, green in spring gradually turning dusky purple-green as they age. Masses of white or very pale pink flowers cover the branches in June once established..
Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar' is a handsome garden tree best suited for sun or light, dappled shade in a position out of strong winds.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile, lime free soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil. Avoid wet or waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar' requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White or very pale pink
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Styrax japonica 'Wespelaar' grows to be a small branching tree with an open crown in time.
- Height: up to 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft) in many years / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant