(American Snowbell Tree) Styrax americanus is a fascinating shrub or very small tree native to the south-eastern United States with masses of dainty, white, bell-shaped flowers which hang from the branches in early summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A fascinating shrub or very small tree native to the south-eastern United States with masses of dainty, white, bell-shaped flowers which hang from the branches in early summer. The flowers of Styrax americanus are similar in appearance to the flowers of the more commonly seen Styrax japonica except that they have more narrow petals.
The leaves are quite small, dark green and oval, making an excellent backdrop for the flowers.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Tolerates damp but not waterlogged soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Styrax americanus requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Large branching shrub or very small tree with a spreading, open crown.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Notes: Styrax americanus flowers well as a young plant.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Honey Fungus Resistant, To grow in a pot
- On sale!