Styrax formosanus var formosanus
(Taiwanese Snowbell Tree) A rare and hardy small tree, Styrax formosanus var formosanus is native to parts of Taiwan and has masses of beautiful, fragrant white flowers in early summer.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare and hardy small tree, Styrax formosanus var formosanus is native to parts of Taiwan and has masses of beautiful, fragrant white flowers in early summer.
Styrax formosanus var formosanus grows to be a fairly upright tree which looks particularly good when branching out over ponds, streams or garden paths. Requires lime free soil and although hardy will prefer a position sheltered from strong winds.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile, lime free soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil. Not suitable for very wet areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Styrax formosanus var formosanus requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Styrax formosanus var formosanus eventually grows to be a small branching tree with an open crown.
- Height: up to 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft) in many years / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Scented, Rare and Unusual