(Chinese Snowbell Tree) A rare native of China and first introduced to the United Kingdom in 1900, Styrax hemsleyana has long (12 - 15 cm) racemes of wide, pure white flowers in mid summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare native of China and first introduced to the United Kingdom in 1900, Styrax hemsleyana has long (12 - 15 cm) racemes of wide, pure white flowers in mid summer. The leaves are much larger then those of a Styrax japonica and pale green, making this an attractive tree for foliage when not in flower.
Once established, Styrax hemsleyana is a spectacular flowering garden tree.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile, lime free soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil. Will not grow in waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Styrax hemsleyana grows to be a small branching tree with an open crown.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: Styrax hemsleyana requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot, Rare and Unusual
- On sale!