(Snowbell Tree) A beautiful small tree found growing in woods all over Japan, Styrax japonica develops wide, fan-shaped branches which are covered with cascades of bell-shaped, white flowers in summer.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful small tree found growing in woods all over Japan, Styrax japonica develops wide, fan-shaped branches which are covered with cascades of bell-shaped, white flowers in summer. The leaves are small, pale green in spring / summer and turn yellow in a good crisp autumn before falling.
Styrax japonica grows to be an unusual and handsome garden tree which looks particularly good when branching out over ponds, streams or garden paths.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile, lime free soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained ground. Not suitable for waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Styrax japonica requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Styrax japonica eventually grows to be a small branching tree with an open crown.
- Height: up to 8 m (26 ft) in many years / [up to 3 m (10 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years]
- Notes: Flowers reliably as a young plant. This plant is also known as Styrax japonicus.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, Honey Fungus Resistant, To grow in a pot, Habit - Architectural
You might also like