Sorbus alnifolia 'Red Bird'
(Korean Rowan) An unusual small tree native to parts of China and Korea, Sorbus alnifolia 'Red Bird' has green, deeply veined leaves which change to brilliant orange and red in autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual small tree native to parts of China and Korea, Sorbus alnifolia 'Red Bird' has green, deeply veined leaves which change to brilliant orange and red in autumn.
Flat-topped clusters of tiny white flowers appear on the branches in spring which are followed by masses of showy red, orange or yellow fruit in the autumn, usually after the leaves have fallen from the tree. These fruit are popular with birds and other wildlife.
A handsome small tree.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small, branching, rounded tree.
- Height: up to 10 m (30 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: The leaves of Sorbus alnifolia are rather similar to those of a Carpinus (hornbeam) but more narrow and and longer.
- Important Please Read - Sorbus (Rowan / Mountain Ash) species and cultivars are not and cannot be affected by the Ash disease, Chalara fraxinea. Despite the potentially confusing name, mountain ashes are actually in the rose family, Rosacaea, and are closely related to apples and pears etc. Fraxinus excelsior (Common ash), are in the olive family, Oleaceae and the wind born disease recently found in the UK is completely specific to this genus.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental
You might also likeNew Price Each £35.00New Price Each £12.95New Price Each £18.95
New Price Each £18.50
New Price Each £15.00
New Price Each £47.50New Price Each £38.00New Price Each £35.00