Sarcococca hookeriana var digyna
(Sweet Box) Sarcococca hookeriana var digyna is a densely branching small to medium sized, evergreen shrub grown for its superb display of white scented flowers in winter.
Known for its beautifully fragrant white flowers with pale pink stamens in February, Sarcococca hookeriana var digyna is a handsome evergreen shrub. The leaves are mid to dark green in colour and more narrow than those of the similar Sarcococca confusa.
Sarcococca hookeriana var digyna is suitable in size for even the smallest of gardens and a particularly good choice of shrub for an area near a door where the flowers fragrance can be appreciated, it will also grow well in a large container or pot.
- Position: Sun or shade.
- Soil: Moist, well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: December - March.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Sarcococca hookeriana var digyna grows to be a small or eventually medium sized, densely branching, rounded shrub. Can be pruned to shape if required.
- Height: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 1.5m), Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowers in Winter, Honey Fungus Resistant, Scented, Suitable for Containers