Salix udensis 'Sekka'
(Japanese Fantail Willow) Native to parts of North-east Asia including the Sakhalin islands, Salix udensis 'Sekka' is a curious willow with strange flattened stems which occur most frequently on mature plants.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to parts of North-east Asia including the Sakhalin islands, Salix udensis 'Sekka' is a curious willow with strange flattened stems which occur most frequently on mature plants. This flattening of the stems is called fasciation and it can be encouraged by occasional severe pruning.
Upright silvery-grey catkins appear on the stems in spring, followed by narrow green leaves which turn light yellow before they fall in autumn. The flattened branches are popular for oriental flower arrangements.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any moist soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Large branching shrub with a rounded habit if left unpruned.
- Height: 5 m (16 ft)
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft)
- Notes: Salix udensis 'Sekka' makes an effective garden plant if pruned back to 30 cm (1 ft) above the ground each spring before coming into leaf. This encourages it to produce a mixture of both vigorous upright and contorted stems. This plant is also known as Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka'.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Catkins
You might also likeRegular price £12.95 -10% New Price Each £11.66
New Price Each £12.95Regular price £14.95 -10% New Price Each £13.46
- On sale!
New Price Each £18.95New Price Each £22.50New Price Each £17.50New Price Each £12.95
- On sale!
New Price Each £35.00