Salix purpurea 'Nancy Saunders'
(Purple Willow) An elegant female form, Salix purpurea 'Nancy Saunders' has glossy maroon-red shoots and soft blue-grey leaves.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An elegant female form, Salix purpurea 'Nancy Saunders' has glossy maroon-red shoots and soft blue-grey leaves. In spring, the branches are covered with attractive, small silver catkins. This can be pruned back hard each spring to reduce its size and encourage the production of fresh shoots in the following year.
Very suitable for planting next to streams and ponds.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Salix purpurea 'Nancy Saunders' enjoys damp or wet soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Salix purpurea 'Nancy Saunders' grows to be a large branching shrub if left unpruned.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft) or up to 2 m (6 ft) if coppiced yearly.
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft) or 2 m (5 ft) if coppiced yearly.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features