Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan'
(Flowering Cherry) Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan' is a popular and very pretty cherry tree with masses of large double, purplish-pink flowers which are bright, cheerful and open just before or as the bronze young leaves emerge in Spring.
Popular and very pretty cherry tree with masses of large double, purplish-pink flowers which are bright, cheerful and open just before or as the bronze young leaves emerge in Spring. The leaves are large, with a serrated edge and start as a bronze colour, darkening to green later in the year and finally turning bronze-orange before falling in autumn .
Prunus 'Kanzan' is a handsome and very hardy flowering garden or avenue tree.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil. Avoid waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: Purplish-pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small or eventually medium sized tree with a vase-like shape when young, becoming more rounded once mature.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: Prunus are known for their vigorous root systems and should not be planted over drains or close to house foundations.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Flowers in Spring