(Chinese Pistache) Rare in the United Kingdom, Pistacia chinensis is a large shrub with dark green, pinnate (feather-like) leaves which turn bright scarlet red and orange before falling in
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
Rare in the United Kingdom, Pistacia chinensis is a large shrub with dark green, pinnate (feather-like) leaves which turn bright scarlet red and orange before falling in autumn. Pistacia chinensis requires a very warm, sheltered, sunny position to grow outside in the UK but can make a lovely garden plant in the right spot.
- Position: Sheltered and warm in full sun, preferably against a south facing wall or fence.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Pistacia chinensis is very drought tolerant.
- Hardiness: Hardy down to -5°c. Requires protection in winter and shelter from cold winds.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: Red
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Although a tall tree in its native habitat, Pistacia chinensis will only really grow to be a large shrub in the UK as we lack the very hot summers.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft ft)
- Notes: Please note that Pistacia chinensis can be a difficult and fickle plant in the UK and is best grown by experienced gardeners. Although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will NOT replace/refund a failed Pistacia chinensis.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour