(Chinese Pistache) Rare in the United Kingdom, Pistacia chinensis is a large shrub with dark green, pinnate (feather-like) leaves which turn bright scarlet red and orange before falling in
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Rare in the United Kingdom, Pistacia chinensis is a large shrub with dark green, pinnate (feather-like) leaves which turn bright scarlet red and orange before falling in autumn. Pistacia chinensis requires a very warm, sheltered, sunny position to grow outside in the UK but can make a lovely garden plant in the right spot.
- Position: Sheltered and warm in full sun, preferably against a south facing wall or fence.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Pistacia chinensis is very drought tolerant.
- Hardiness: Hardy down to -5°c. Requires protection in winter and shelter from cold winds.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: Red
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Although a tall tree in its native habitat, Pistacia chinensis will only really grow to be a large shrub in the UK as we lack the very hot summers.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft ft)
- Notes: Please note that Pistacia chinensis can be a difficult and fickle plant in the UK and is best grown by experienced gardeners. Although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will NOT replace/refund a failed Pistacia chinensis.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour
You might also like