Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame'
(Lily of the Valley) Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' is a medium sized shrub with bright red young leaves which gradually turn dark, glossy green as they age.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An evergreen shrub grown for its vivid spring colour, Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' is a medium sized shrub with bright red young leaves which gradually turn dark, glossy green as they age. Established plants have masses of small creamy, bell-like flowers in spring.
Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' is suitable for a position in sun or partial shade and enjoys moist yet well drained, acid soil. It can be grown successfully in a large container for a number of years.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, acid soil. Avoid waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' does best with shelter from cold winter winds. Very exposed, open areas are not ideal.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' grows to be a medium sized, upright shrub in time.
- Height: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft) / up to approx 1.5 m (5 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft) / up to 1 - 1.5 m (3 - 5 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: Pieris japonica 'Forest Flame' will usually not grow well in gardens with neutral or alkali / chalky soils.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot, Honey Fungus Resistant
- On sale!