Parrotia persica 'Vanessa'
(Persian Ironwood) Parrotia persica 'Vanessa' is one of the most eye-catching trees in our gardens each autumn with the green summer leaves turning vivid shades of purple, orange and red.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual small tree with green leaves in spring and summer which turn a glorious plum purple, red and orange in the autumn time before falling. The bark on an established trees tends to flake over time, leaving a very attractive patchwork of steely grey and white.
Parrotia persica 'Vanessa' has arching branches and a more upright, narrow habit than the classic Parrotia persica and grows to be an eye-catching, small garden tree.
Vanessa is a genus of butterflies which includes Vanessa atlanta, the Red Admiral and Vanessa cardui, the Painted Lady. It is after these colourful butterflies that this cultivar was named, reflecting the myriad of different autumn colours!
- Position: Sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: January - February.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Small or eventually medium sized branching tree with an upright habit.
- Height: 10 m (32 ft) / [up to 4 m (13 ft) after 10 years]
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft) / [2 m (6 ft) after 10 years]
- Notes: In our experience, Parrotia persica 'Vanessa' will hold onto its fabulous autumn colours much longer if planted in a position sheltered from strong winds.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Honey Fungus Resistant, Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February)