Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Black Beard'
(Mondo Grass or Lilyturf) Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Black Beard' is a striking small, evergreen perennial with arching, narrow grass-like, dark purple-black leaves. Excellent for ground cover and can be planted in groups.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Black Beard' is a striking small, evergreen perennial with arching, narrow grass-like, dark purple-black leaves. Small clusters of purplish-white flowers appear in summer followed by black fruit.
Suitable for a position in sun or dappled shade and makes a good container plant. Can be grown as a spreading ground cover plant.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained yet moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - August.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Black Beard' grows to be a small spreading perennial.
- Height: 30 cm (1 ft)
- Spread: 50 - 60 cm (2 ft)
- Notes: Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Black Beard' is most effective when planted in small groups.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Ground Cover
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Foliage - Purple/Red, Suitable for Containers, Fruit - Ornamental, Flowers in Summer