Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Royal Air'
(Dawn Redwood) A rare selection, Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Royal Air' has an upright, pyramidal habit growing to be a slender, small tree in time.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A rare selection, Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Royal Air' has an upright, pyramidal habit growing to be a slender, small tree in time. The leaves are bronze-green in spring when they emerge turning bright green later in the year and bronze in autumn before they fall. Eventually a sizable tree.
Although lovely, this selection seems more susceptible to late frost than some of the other Metasequoia growing here and would prefer a sunny sheltered, west facing position.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Royal Air' particularly enjoys damp or wet sites.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small to medium sized tree with a narrow, compact, conical habit.
- Height: 10 - 15 m (32 - 50 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- Notes: As this is a new introduction, the above eventual sizes are an estimate based on a nine year old specimen of Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Royal Air' growing in our arboretum.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Rare and Unusual