Very rare in the UK, Melliodendron xylocarpum is a graceful tree native to China and has lovely, fleshy, white-flushed pink, star-shaped flowers, similar in appearance to those of a Styrax.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Very rare in the UK, Melliodendron xylocarpum is a graceful tree native to China and has lovely, fleshy, white-flushed pink, star-shaped flowers, similar in appearance to those of a Styrax. The flowers appear in late Spring/early summer. The leaves are glossy green in colour.
Melliodendron xylocarpum is usually a tricky plant to grow well in the UK, particularly in cold or exposed areas and is best attempted by experienced gardeners who are prepared to protect it from winter cold, late Spring frost, etc.
- Position: Sheltered in full sun or partial shade
- Soil: Moist yet Well drained, fertile soil. Melliodendron xylocarpum will not grow well in wet soils with poor drainage
- Hardiness: Frost Hardy. Depending on your area Melliodendron xylocarpum may well require a warm, sheltered garden, a position away from cold winter winds and protection in severe winters or from late spring frosts.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Melliodendron xylocarpum grows to be a very small tree in the UK.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (16 - 20 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: Please be aware that Melliodendron xylocarpum can be a fickle and difficult plant, particularly in the winter, if caught by frost or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is NOT covered by any guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Rare and Unusual, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
- On sale!