(Evergreen Magnolia or Sweetbay) Magnolia virginiana is a very hardy, semi-evergreen Magnolia with fragrant, creamy white flowers that appear in mid summer on established plants.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Magnolia virginiana is a very hardy, evergreen Magnolia with fragrant, creamy white flowers that appear in mid summer on established plants.
The leaves are large, mid green with a silver underside. Magnolia virginiana is suprisingly cold tolerant and usually evergreen, but in exceptionally cold winters can loose some of its leaves.
A rare and handsome evergreen tree which will flower best in a sunny position and is tolerant of wet soils.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, lime-free or acidic soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy bu shelter from cold wind. This will loose its leaves in a cold winter, while retaining them in a milder one.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a small spreading, branching tree.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft).
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft).
- Notes: Better quality, larger leaves will be produced if Magnolia virginiana is grown in a position sheltered from strong winds.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Autumn (September - November), Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
You might also like