- Sold Out
(Evergreen Magnolia or Sweetbay) Magnolia virginiana is a very hardy, semi-evergreen Magnolia with fragrant, creamy white flowers that appear in mid summer on established plants.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands
Magnolia virginiana is a very hardy, evergreen Magnolia with fragrant, creamy white flowers that appear in mid summer on established plants.
The leaves are large, mid green with a silver underside. Magnolia virginiana is suprisingly cold tolerant and usually evergreen, but in exceptionally cold winters can loose some of its leaves.
A rare and handsome evergreen tree which will flower best in a sunny position and is tolerant of wet soils.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, lime-free or acidic soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy bu shelter from cold wind. This will loose its leaves in a cold winter, while retaining them in a milder one.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a small spreading, branching tree.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft).
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft).
- Notes: Better quality, larger leaves will be produced if Magnolia virginiana is grown in a position sheltered from strong winds.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Damp/Wet, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowers in Autumn, Flowers in Summer