Liriodendron tulipifera 'Purgatory'
(Variegated Tulip Tree) A rare selection, Liriodendron tulipifera 'Purgatory' grows to be a small tree with interesting mottled yellow and green variegated leaves.
Free P&P for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare small to medium sized tree, Liriodendron tulipifera 'Purgatory' has interesting mottled yellow and green variegated leaves. The variegation is colourful but somewhat random and persistent green shots should be removed.
Slow growing than a typical tulip tree, this will usually give its best foliage display in a sunny position sheltered from strong winds.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liriodendron tulipifera 'Purgatory' does generally not grow well in dry soils which are prone to drying out in summer.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: Yellowish-green with orange markings
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Liriodendron tulipifera 'Purgatory' is eventually a small branching tree.
- Height: up to 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft).
- Spread: 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Variegated, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large, Rare and Unusual
- On sale!