Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stella'
(Sweet Gum) Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stella' has deeply cut, star shaped, green leaves which turn dramatic shades of purple and rich red for several weeks before falling in autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stella' is a medium sized tree with deeply cut, star shaped, green leaves which turn dramatic shades of purple and rich red for several weeks before falling in autumn.
The colourful cut leaves in autumn give this form a distinctly different feel to other Liquidambars.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Stella' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually a large, branching tree.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft).
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large