Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum Ball'
(Compact Sweet Gum) A remarkable form of sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' with a 'lollipop' shape and a dense, compact, bushy head of branches.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A remarkable form of sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' with a 'lollipop' shape and a dense, compact, bushy head of branches. The leaves are green, turning vivid shades of orange-red in autumn before falling. A striking cultivar, very suited for small gardens.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Very small tree or even a shrub with a compact, densely branched head.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft).
- Notes: Larger plants are available for special order which have been grafted on to tall, straight stems. These are much more expensive but give this Liquidambar a more architectural appearance - featuring a straight main trunk and a rounded, bushy head once established. Please call our office on (01530) 413700 for more information.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Suitable for Containers, Habit - Architectural