Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum Ball'
(Compact Sweet Gum) A remarkable form of sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' with a 'lollipop' shape and a dense, compact, bushy head of branches.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A remarkable form of sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' with a 'lollipop' shape and a dense, compact, bushy head of branches. The leaves are green, turning vivid shades of orange-red in autumn before falling. A striking cultivar, very suited for small gardens.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Gum ball' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Very small tree or even a shrub with a compact, densely branched head.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft).
- Notes: Larger plants are available for special order which have been grafted on to tall, straight stems. These are much more expensive but give this Liquidambar a more architectural appearance - featuring a straight main trunk and a rounded, bushy head once established. Please call our office on (01530) 413700 for more information.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, To grow in a pot, Habit - Architectural