(Anise Tree) A very rare plant, Illicium simonsii grows to be an evergreen medium sized shrub with beautiful pale yellow flowers in mid-late summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A very rare plant, Illicium simonsii grows to be an evergreen medium sized shrub with beautiful pale yellow flowers in mid-late summer. The leaves are dark green and leathery.
We have successfully grown an Illicium simonsii in our woodland gardens in Derbyshire for many years. It requires a sheltered, warm spot if possible and a reasonably well drained, acidic soil.
As Illicium simonsii is a rare, valuable and sometimes fickle plant it is recommended only for experienced gardeners.
- Position: Warm in light, dappled or partial shade.
- Soil: Well-drained, acidic soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. While we have a Illicium simonsii growing in our gardens which has survived some cold winters, we strongly advise that this valuable plant is protected in cold weather and sheltered from strong winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Illicium simonsii eventually grows to be a medium sized branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft) in many years.
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Notes: Please note that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase we will not replace a failed Illicium simonsii as it can be killed if not given adequate winter protection or if planted in a poor position.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot, Rare and Unusual
- On sale!