(Black Sea Holly) Ilex colchica is a rare, large, evergreen shrub with quite narrow, short stalked, polished dark green leaves and striking red berries in autumn.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
A native of Turkey, this is a rare, large, evergreen shrub with quite narrow, short stalked, polished dark green leaves and striking red berries in autumn. Upright and bushy initially, it tends to round out once mature.
Ilex colchica will become a lovely specimen holly but is fairly slow growing and so is not normally a plant for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Ilex colchica grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, densely branching rounded shrub.
- Height: up to 3m (10 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Fruit - Ornamental, Screening/Hedge, Rare and Unusual
You might also like