Hydrangea aspera 'Bellevue'
(Rough-leaved Hydrangea) An unusual medium sized shrub, Hydrangea aspera 'Bellevue' with lilac flowers and very large, soft leaves up to 30 - 40 cm long.
An unusual shrub, Hydrangea aspera 'Bellevue' has very large, soft leaves up to 30 - 40 cm long. Established plants have handsome lilac flowers in late summer and early autumn.
Most suited for a position in light or partial shade with the best leaf size generally being seen if planted in a spot sheltered from strong winds.
- Position: Light or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sized branching shrub with a rounded habit once established.
- Height: 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft)
- Pruning: Remove dead or damaged stems in late winter or early spring.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Autumn, Flowers in Summer, Foliage - Unusual Shape, Rare and Unusual