(Chinese Gymnocladus) A very rare plant indeed and a new introduction to us here, Gymnocladus chinensis has huge, bipinnate leaves once established which are purplish in colour when they emerge in spring, turning dark green later in summer.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A very rare plant indeed and a new introduction to us here, Gymnocladus chinensis has huge, bipinnate leaves once established which are purplish in colour when they emerge in spring, turning dark green later in summer.. These leaves are very unusual and large in appearance, looking nearly tropical.
Established specimens are very handsome, but although a tall tree in its native China, we expect it to be much smaller here in the United Kingdom.
Gymnocladus chinensis is reasonably winter hardy but will prefer a position which is warm and sunny in the summer and sheltered from strong winds. With its large, delicate leaves we expect that this tree will not be suitable for cold, windy areas.
Best suited for experienced and patient gardeners.
- Position: Warm in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any reasonably well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Gymnocladus chinensis requires shelter from cold winds and may require protection in cold winters until established.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Gymnocladus chinensis grows to be a small elegantly branching tree.
- Height: Estimated up to 8 - 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 6 (20 ft) - 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: Please be aware that Gymnocladus chinensis is a fickle and difficult plant if planted in a poor position, if disturbed once planted and can be damaged in cold winters without protection. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large