(Caspian Locust Tree) Native to parts of Western Asia including Iran, Gleditsia caspica is a hardy small tree with bright green pinnate (feather-like) leaves in summer which turn yellow in autumn before falling.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Shipped within 2 - 4 working days
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Native to parts of Western Asia including Iran, Gleditsia caspica is a hardy small tree with bright green pinnate (feather-like) leaves in summer which turn yellow in autumn before falling. Masses of long spines develop on the trunk as it grows making this a useful barrier plant. Unusual in the UK.
Most suitable to a position in full sun with some shelter from strong winds and good drainage..
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Excellent in dry soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow until settled down then moderate.
- Habit: Small mop-headed tree once established.
- Height: Eventually up to 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft)
- Spread: 5 - 6 m (16 - 20 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Screening/Hedge, Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
- On sale!