Fatsia japonica is a handsome medium to large evergreen shrub with huge, shiny green leaves and white flowers in late summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
(Japanese Aralia) Native to Japan, Fatsia japonica is a handsome evergreen shrub with large, leathery, dark green leaves sometimes up to 30 - 40 cm across. Established plants produce panicles of milky-white flowers in late summer or early autumn.
Fatsia japonica is an excellent evergreen plant for a sheltered, shady corner. Not usually suitable for windy, exposed gardens.
- Position: Warm, sheltered from wind dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Most soils.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Fatsia japonica requires shelter from wind and may need protection in cold winters.
- Flowering Period: August - September.
- Flower Colour: White.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Fatsia japonica grows to be a medium sized or eventually large shrub. In very warm, mild areas over time it could grow to be a small tree.
- Height: up to 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Notes: Please be aware that Fatsia japonica can be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade, Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Evergreen, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large
- On sale!