Rare in the UK, Dipteronia sinensis is native to China and grows to be a handsome large shrub or very small tree with elegant, long, pinnate (feather-like leaves), mid green in summer turning yellow in autumn.
This plant is currently unavailable and we sadly do not have any more in the pipeline for the near future. It will be a long wait but please enter your email address below if you are interested in this plant once back in stock.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Rare in the UK, Dipteronia sinensis is native to China and grows to be a handsome large shrub or very small tree with elegant, long, pinnate (feather-like leaves), mid green in summer turning yellow in autumn. Established plants have small, inconspicuous flowers greenish-white in summer followed by eye-catching clusters of green, winged seed which gradually turn red in autumn. These seed are very ornamental.
Dipteronia sinensis is a fantastic, ornamental specimen plant and its best display of seed is usually seen when planted in a warm, sunny position.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Avoid wet or waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Dipteronia sinensis requires shelter from cold wind.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Dipteronia sinensis grows to be a large shrub or eventually a very small tree.
- Height: 4 - 6 m (13 - 26 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: Please be aware that Dipteronia sinensis can be a fickle and difficult plant in a very wet winter if waterlogged, if caught by late frost or if planted in a poor exposed position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Fruit - Ornamental, Rare and Unusual, Foliage - Unusual Shape