Rare in the UK, Dipteronia sinensis is native to China and grows to be a handsome large shrub or very small tree with elegant, long, pinnate (feather-like leaves), mid green in summer turning yellow in autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Rare in the UK, Dipteronia sinensis is native to China and grows to be a handsome large shrub or very small tree with elegant, long, pinnate (feather-like leaves), mid green in summer turning yellow in autumn. Established plants have small, inconspicuous flowers greenish-white in summer followed by eye-catching clusters of green, winged seed which gradually turn red in autumn. These seed are very ornamental.
Dipteronia sinensis is a fantastic, ornamental specimen plant and its best display of seed is usually seen when planted in a warm, sunny position.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Avoid wet or waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Dipteronia sinensis requires shelter from cold wind.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Dipteronia sinensis grows to be a large shrub or eventually a very small tree.
- Height: 4 - 6 m (13 - 26 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: Please be aware that Dipteronia sinensis can be a fickle and difficult plant in a very wet winter if waterlogged, if caught by late frost or if planted in a poor exposed position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large