- On sale!
(Blue Sausage Fruit) Decaisnea fargesii is native to China, growing to be a hardy, large shrub or eventually very small tree in the UK with long, bright blue fruit in autumn once established.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual, deciduous Chinese shrub with racemes of clematis like, trailing yellow/green flowers in late spring up to 35 - 45 cm long. These pretty flowers are followed by gigantic and very ornamental, metallic-blue bean pods in autumn.
Decaisnea fargesii has large dark green, pinnate leaves which can be up to 80 cm in length on established plants. A eye-catching, fruiting shrub with an exotic appearance!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Decaisnea fargesii will not generally grow well on a dry soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Although fully hardy when dormant in winter, Decaisnea fargesii requires protection from any severe frost once the new leaves emerge in spring.
- Flowering Period: May - June
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Decaisnea fargesii will grow to be a large, branching shrub with an open habit.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- Notes: Decaisnea fargesii is usually self-fertile, but will typically always produce a much better display of fruit if planted in small groups (2 - 3 plants or more, ideally from different sources).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
- On sale!