Cryptomeria japonica 'Araucarioides'
(Japanese Red Cedar) A rare large shrub or eventually very small tree, Cryptomeria japonica 'Araucarioides' has long whip-like branches covered with short, dark-green needles.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A rare large shrub or eventually very small tree, Cryptomeria japonica 'Araucarioides' has long whip-like branches covered with short, dark-green needles. Usually sparsely branched when young, it becomes more densely branched with age.
Not for instant gratification but very handsome and eye-catching once established.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil. Cryptomeria japonica 'Araucarioides' will not grow well in shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Cryptomeria japonica 'Araucarioides' will grow to be a large upright shrub or very small branching tree in time.
- Height: up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large, Rare and Unusual