(Japanese Red Cedar) Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves. These leaves are bright green in the summer, turning bronze-brown through the winter.
The bark of established specimens is very ornamental, reddish-brown and peeling in strips. A handsome garden tree, slender when young best suited to mild parts of the United Kingdom or positions sheltered from cold wind in more exposed areas.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil. Cryptomeria japonica will not grow well in shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Shelter from cold winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cryptomeria japonica will grow to be a tall slender tree with a pyramidal habit.
- Height: up to 20 m (65 ft) but usually smaller in the U.K.
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: Cryptomeria japonica is notably wind tolerant but dislikes maritime exposure.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also like