- Sold Out
(Winter Hazel) Native to Japan, Corylopsis spicata is a hazel-like, medium sized shrub with racemes of pendulous, sweetly scented, yellow flowers in early spring.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for P&P to Highlands & Islands
Order before 1pm on 21/12/22 for Christmas Delivery
Native to Japan, Corylopsis spicata is a hazel-like, medium sized shrub with racemes of pendulous, sweetly scented, yellow flowers in early spring. The leaves are an attractive dark green through summer with lightly felted undersides.
A spreading shrub, Corylopsis spicata is an excellent plant for flower early in the year but in the United Kingdom requires a sheltered position and protection from late spring frosts once the leaves have emerged.
- Position: Sheltered in sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy but grows best when sheltered from strong winds. Corylopsis spicata should be protected from late spring frost!
- Flowering Period: February - March.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Corylopsis spicata grows to be a medium sized, densely branching shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft).
- Spread: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft).
- Notes: Corylopsis spicata can be severely damaged by late spring frosts once the leaves emerge and should be protected with fleece if required. Please note that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will replace a Corylopsis spicata which is damaged or killed by late spring frosts.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium, Shrub - Large
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Catkins, Suitable for Containers, Scented, Flowers in Spring