(Winter Hazel) Native to Japan, Corylopsis spicata is a hazel-like, medium sized shrub with racemes of pendulous, sweetly scented, yellow flowers in early spring.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Native to Japan, Corylopsis spicata is a hazel-like, medium sized shrub with racemes of pendulous, sweetly scented, yellow flowers in early spring. The leaves are an attractive dark green through summer with lightly felted undersides.
A spreading shrub, Corylopsis spicata is an excellent plant for flower early in the year but in the United Kingdom requires a sheltered position and protection from late spring frosts once the leaves have emerged.
- Position: Sheltered in sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy but grows best when sheltered from strong winds. Corylopsis spicata should be protected from late spring frost!
- Flowering Period: February - March.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Corylopsis spicata grows to be a medium sized, densely branching shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft).
- Spread: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft).
- Notes: Corylopsis spicata can be severely damaged by late spring frosts once the leaves emerge and should be protected with fleece if required. Please note that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will replace a Corylopsis spicata which is damaged or killed by late spring frosts.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Catkins, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), To grow in a pot, Scented
You might also like