Cornus kousa 'China Girl'
(Flowering Dogwood) Cornus kousa 'China Girl' is an improved early flowering form of the more well known Cornus kousa var chinensis and has masses of large, creamy-white flower bracts in June.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
This particular dogwood is an improved early flowering form of the more well known Cornus kousa var chinensis and has masses of large, creamy-white flower bracts in June. Brightly coloured, strawberry-like fruits follow the flower bracts in autumn after a hot summer.
The leaves are dark green in summer and turn pretty shades of red/orange in autumn before falling. It is an excellent choice for a sunny border and can also be grown in a large container if required.
Introduced from Hupeh, a central province in China in 1910, Cornus kousa has proved to be a first class, small, hardy tree with huge numbers of eye-catching bracts. Plant in a position with plenty of sun for the best possible flower display.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Cornus kousa 'China Girl' will tolerate dry soils once established.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus kousa 'China Girl' grows to be a large shrub in the short term or eventually small tree with a dense, branching crown.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of this Cornus is somewhat dependent upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, To grow in a pot
You might also like