Cornus alba 'Kesselringii'
(Black-stemmed Dogwood) Cornus alba 'Kesselringii' is an striking shrub which has colourful deep-red to black stems in winter and dark-green leaves that turn plum-purple in autumn.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
An intriguing winter barked dogwood which has colourful deep-red to black stems in winter and dark-green leaves that turn plum-purple in autumn. These dark winter stems look lovely when combined with white barked birch or red stemmed plants.
Cornus alba 'Kesselringii' is a shrub with year round interest which is ideal for mass plantings and can also make a beautiful informal hedge.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any reasonably well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Cornus alba 'Kesselringii' grows to be a large shrub over time but can be pruned hard yearly if required.
- Height: 1 - 1.5 m (3 - 5 ft) if pruned yearly or 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) if unpruned.
- Spread: 1 - 1.5 m (3 - 5 ft) if pruned yearly or 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) if unpruned.
- Pruning: Cornus alba 'Kesselringii' is most attractive if pruned hard to about 30 - 40 cm above the ground early each spring. This will prevent it getting to large and rejuvenate the plant so the bright coloured stems appear each year.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, To grow in a pot
You might also like