Cornus mas 'Jolico'
(Cornelian Cherry) A charming German form of Cornus mas which was first selected to be used for commercial fruit production.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Cornelian Cherry) A charming German form of Cornus mas which was first selected to be used for commercial fruit production. This has the familiar, lovely clusters of yellow flowers in early spring and once established will produce masses of vivid-red berries (up to three times larger than those of a classic Cornus mas) from midsummer onwards.
These are fruit are very popular with wildlife and can also be used with other fruit to make jams or other preserves.
Supplied Size: 3L pots (approx 3 years old, 40 - 60 cm tall)
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, moist soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: February.
- Flower Colour: Golden-yellow
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Large, branching shrub.
- Height: 5 m (16 ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: Cornus mas ' Jolico' requires pollination by a different Cornus mas in order to produce a reliably good crop of fruit for use in cooking.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Flowering Season - Winter (December - February), Fruit - Ornamental, Fruit - Edible
You might also like