Available Summer 20189
(Japanese Umbrella Pine) Native to Japan, Sciadopitys verticillata is a very slow growing, small, conical, tree with glossy foliage in whorls, like the spokes of an umbrella.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to Japan, Sciadopitys verticillata is a very slow growing, small, conical, tree with glossy foliage in whorls, like the spokes of an umbrella. Established plants produce handsome cones up to 10 cm long, which are green in colour initially, ripening to brown as they age in the second year.
Sciadopitys verticillata is suitable for any lime free soil and will flourish in a shady situation. Although hardy, we find that they usually establish better if given some shelter from cold winter winds.
This is a slow growing plant and not for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Lime free, fertile soil. Tolerates damp but not waterlogged ground.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Sciadopitys verticillata eventually grows to be a densely branched, conical small tree in the UK.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft) - possibly taller in many years if planted in a warm area.
- Spread: 6 cm (20 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade, Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, To grow in a pot