(Japanese Umbrella Pine) Native to Japan, Sciadopitys verticillata is a very slow growing, small, conical, tree with glossy foliage in whorls, like the spokes of an umbrella.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Native to Japan, Sciadopitys verticillata is a very slow growing, small, conical, tree with glossy foliage in whorls, like the spokes of an umbrella. Established plants produce handsome cones up to 10 cm long, which are green in colour initially, ripening to brown as they age in the second year.
Sciadopitys verticillata is suitable for any lime free soil and will flourish in a shady situation. Although hardy, we find that they usually establish better if given some shelter from cold winter winds.
This is a slow growing plant and not for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Lime free, fertile soil. Tolerates damp but not waterlogged ground.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Sciadopitys verticillata eventually grows to be a densely branched, conical small tree in the UK.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft) - possibly taller in many years if planted in a warm area.
- Spread: 6 cm (20 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Suitable for Containers