Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird'
(Sweet Pepper Bush) A densely branching compact, small or eventually medium sized, deciduous shrub with masses of long scented white flower spikes in late summer which are popular with bees and butterflies.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A densely branching compact, deciduous shrub with masses of long scented white flower spikes in late summer which are popular with bees and butterflies. The leaves are dark green with yellow and orange autumn tints before falling.
Although tolerant of some shade, the best flower and autumn colour display will usually be seen when planted in a position with plenty of sun..
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, acidic soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird' grows to be a small to medium sized shrub. Upright initially, spreading once more established.
- Height: 1.2 - 1.5 m (4 - 5 ft)
- Spread: 1.2 - 1.5 m (4 - 5 ft)
- Notes: Prune to remove dead or damaged stems in early spring. Clethra alnifolia 'Hummingbird' is notably resistant to honey fungus.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 1.5m), Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Honey Fungus Resistant, Suitable for Containers, Scented