Clerodendrum trichotomum 'Purple Blaze'
(Harlequin Glory Bower) New to us, Clerodendrum trichotomum 'Purple Blaze' is a lovely tall, deciduous shrub with dark purple-flushed leaves in spring turning green later on as they mature.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
New to us, Clerodendrum trichotomum 'Purple Blaze' is a lovely tall, deciduous shrub with dark purple-flushed leaves in spring turning green later on as they mature. Established plants have pink flower bud opening to white, scented flowers in summer followed by glossy blue-black fruit surrounded by purple-red bracts in autumn.
Best display of foliage colour, flower and fruit once established if planted in a sunny position with some shelter from strong winds..
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Shelter from strong wind and not suitable for cold, exposed areas.
- Flowering Period: August.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Clerodendrum trichotomum 'Purple Blaze' grows to be a tall shrub in the short to medium term or eventually a very small branching tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: The fruit can be toxic and should not be eaten.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Scented, Flowers in Summer, Foliage - Purple/Red